With the advent of 5G, the Internet of Things is evolving faster and faster, and in the long term, it will connect millions and billions of new devices with different sensors to smart cities. Now let’s figure out what the essence of this technology is and how it works.
What is the essence of IoT technology?
The Internet of Things allows physical devices to connect to a virtual network and the Internet. Thanks to this connection, they can transmit information and take action on its basis. All devices used for the Internet of Things are capable of recording and processing information, as well as redirecting it to another device. Examples of this technology include smartwatches or special sensors in a car that allow it to park itself or stay in a lane on the road.
To ensure the operation of the Internet of Things, you need to establish a communication channel for data transmission, for this you need:
- For operators to create optimized network protocols through which data transfer is carried out.
- High network bandwidth that provides instant information transfer.
- IoT platforms that help connect and manage multiple connected devices.
Why are IoT platforms important to device interactions?
For IoT technology, it is extremely important that devices communicate with each other. Therefore, platforms create seamless integration of various devices with different types of data into a single network. Connections to such platforms all over the world are provided by large telecom companies.
IoT platforms allow:
- To process some of the information transmitted from the device in the cloud, this avoids latency.
- Some platforms integrate artificial intelligence, which allows you to monitor and control the operation of connected devices.
- Allows you to analyze the data received from the devices in order to be able to improve them or notice a failure.
What are the prospects for the Internet of Things?
The technology of things is evolving gradually, so we can assume that in the future it will cover even more smart devices. Already, more than 14 billion smart devices are connected to the network, and the key regions for the Internet of Things are Western Europe, North America and China. With the improvement of the 5G network, the telecom companies will only improve the speed of information transfer and reduce the load on the network in the future.